Thursday, November 7, 2013

Broder's Pasta Bar

We visited Broder’s recently because I was in the mood for some butternut squash ravioli and I saw they had it on their menu online. We arrived on a Friday night around 6pm and, as expected, encountered a 30 minute wait.

We waited outside in the heated patio area and enjoyed a drink while we waited. We were seated right on time and at the bar itself. I think this restaurant is always busy. But there is a good reason for that!

We started with the calamari with cucumber, radish, ricotta salata and caper tartar beneath it. The calamari was perfect. It wasn’t greasy at all nor chewy, light as air. We both liked the radish and cucumbers underneath. The caper tartar was great for dipping the calamari in.

When we were seated our server told us about the two daily specials and I was distracted from my ravioli mission. I tried the daily pasta special which was stringozzi with butternut squash, langostino, herbs and cream sauce. So it still had squash in it, just a slightly different format. The stringozzi pasta was like a thicker and slightly flat version of a spaghetti noodle. There were bits of cubed butternut squash mixed in the sauce along with langostino. The sauce was rich and creamy, but there was not so much of it that it was smothered in the sauce. I really enjoyed this dish.

John had the stringozzi alla spoletina which was house made pasta with tomatoes, olive oil and  garlic with chicken. This was the same noodle type that I had in my dish, except his dish had a ton of fresh tomatoes and tons of garlic flavor. It was also very good.

The service was quite good. Nothing memorable, though he was there when we needed him and our water glasses were filled regularly. Overall, our visit to Broder’s was very enjoyable and I look forward to returning soon. It is certainly worth the wait.


Broder’s Pasta Bar
5000 Penn Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55410
(612) 925-9202
http://broders.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment