Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Minnesota State Fair 2016

I managed to work in three fair visits this year, the first on Friday, August 26th, with my friend Stephanie. We arrived around 11 am and basically wandered around all day. I had no agenda and we had fun checking things out.
 I started with a pronto pup.
 Tom Thumb mini donut machine. 
 The final product. Very light and fluffy and fresh. 
I enjoyed the Premium Blu beer from Schell's again this year. Love the frozen foam! We had cheese curds as well, but I forgot to get a photo.
We stopped by the Minnesota Wine building, to do the wine flights. I tried the whites and Steph went with the sweet and fruity flight, each flight cost $10.
Key lime pie on a stick. Very tart and good. Form Kermit's in Key West, so not made locally, which is maybe OK.
Steph got some Sweet Martha's cookies to take home. We ate quite  few to try and close the lid, but did not do too well. It is a lot of cookies! 
I stopped by the fair Saturday night for awhile to meet Kelly and Michele before the Dixie Chicks show. I started with a burrito from Taco King across from the Miracle of Birth Center. It was very bland and basic, but it was large and quite filling.

I also had the garlic cheese bread with sauce from Vescio's near the Grandstand. I've had it many times before and it was very good as always, but I forgot to get a photo.

Sunday John and I headed to the fair for our day of fair fun. The day started off cool and rainy, but it was not raining by the time we arrived at the fairgrounds.

Bacon from the Big Fat Bacon stand. Just go get this because it is always great!
Fudge Puppy is a chocolate covered waffle on a stick. The waffle was very fluffy and fresh.
John always has to get french fries, these are from World's Greatest French Fries, across from the Food Building. They were hot, fresh and crisp. Very good.
We only tried one new fair food this year, the bang bang chicken from Lulu's in the West End. The chicken was crisp and fresh and the breading was slightly spicy and the dipping sauce was also a bit spicy, but not overly so. I'd highly recommend these.

Another great fair is in the books for us, as we won't be able to make it for the second weekend of the fair. I think three days in a row was maybe a new record for me and maybe too many days in a row. It is probably better to spread it out a bit more next time around.


No comments:

Post a Comment