Thursday, November 10, 2011

Jax Cafe

We visited Jax Cafe on October 21, 2011. We've been to Jax before, but I won a gift card on Twitter from TC Food Finds so we were happy to have an excuse to go back.

We called for a reservation at the last minute and they were able to fit us in at a high top table in the bar.   Even in the bar area the atmosphere was great. We could hear the piano music in the next room and the place was bustling with a variety of customers. I especially loved seeing several generations of a family with kids all dressed up for an evening out. Reminds me of when my grandma used to take me out for lunch or the occasional dinner when I was a kid.

I also love the garlic toast at Jax. It is the crispy, crunchy type of garlic toast. There were also some really good onion popovers in the bread basket.

Since we were seated in the bar I ordered off the bar menu and got the Charlie's Tenderloin Sandwiches. I love to sample the Charlie's-style sandwiches around town. Too bad the original Charlie's closed years ago. (I may actually be too young to have eaten there as I think it closed in the early 70's and I can't often say stuff like that anymore!) This was a great rendition of the Charlie's sandwich with rare tenderloin, a soft bun and a good, zippy horseradish sauce. I also ordered a side of fries, which were really, really good. Very fresh tasting and they came with a side of hollandaise sauce too. This was not a healthy meal, but it was all so delicious!


John ordered the Pan Seared Scallops with spinach. The spinach was sauteed with garlic and it smelled and tasted great. The scallops were cooked perfectly and very delicious, but a little on the salty side. John's entree also came with a caesar salad. It was a good salad and I think the croutons were crumbled bits of garlic toast.

We enjoyed Jax a lot and would return again. It is a NE Minneapolis gem, a great old school restaurant and I hope it is around for many more generations.

Discounts: We happened to win a gift card to Jax from TC Food finds on Twitter awhile ago. I don't think they usually have any coupons, but they do have a weekday happy hour. I believe they had discounted beer and some food specials.

Jax Cafe
1928 University Ave NE
Minneapolis, MN 55418
PH: (612) 789 – 7297
www.jaxcafe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment