Saturday, August 30, 2014

State Fair second visit - 8.27.14

We had to make a second visit to the fair because there are a lot of new foods this year and we only sampled a few things on our first trip. So much to do!
This is the breakfast taco from Lulu's Public House. This was pretty good; not amazing. A freshly made tortilla would have helped put it over the top, but this was definitely pre-made. It contained eggs, chorizo and some onions and peppers.
Lulu's gorilla bread. It was very bready, sweet and gooey, but there was supposed to be cream cheese and I did not detect any in my serving.
Big fat bacon on a stick. It's maple glazed and amazing. 
Random alpaca picture. I have no good explanation. We met up with Tonya and Jimmy for awhile too. We looked at horses with them and their kids for awhile. 
Next, I tried a corn dog. As you may recall I had a pronto pup on Friday, and I wanted to compare the two items. The corm dog has cornmeal in the batter and it gives it a nice added crunch. I thought I preferred the pronto pup to the corm dog, but now I'm not so sure.
Next, we had the Minneapple pie with cinnamon ice cream. Still quite good. They also have pumpkin pie this year too.
We stopped back to the Minnesota Brewers booth for a beer flight. John had the hoppier flight.
John got french fries from the World's Greatest French Fries booth. Actually, we both preferred the fries from the Fresh French Fries booth. These did not taste very fresh at all, nor very hot.
Roasted sweet corn. Still delicious! 

Next, we went over to the West End and discovered they ran out of the Grain Belt Blu beer. I think they had just ran out right before we got there too. Such a bummer! Guess it was more popular than they anticipated. I hope it is back next year though. 
Strawberry rhubarb pop from Johnnypop. 
 Next we had the Indeed Day Tripper Onion Rings at Ballpark Cafe. They were really greasy, but the batter was very light and crisp. The sauce was a spicy mustard and it was certainly hot.
Mini donut beer. Sort of light and sweet, not sure I liked it. 

Korean pork collar from Famous Dave's. The meat was pretty fatty, but it was really tender. The sauce did not have a lot of flavor though.

GB Leighton. Free show, who can resist. He seems to be going more country though. 
Sweet Martha's cookies. Very good when fresh, not so much when cold. 

We also did the Historical Society walking tour and got some state fair postcards. I think we also watched the extreme stunt dogs on tour, which was rather boring except for one dog at the end, that was really good.

According to my fitbit I walked 12 miles in one day at the fair, 27,019 steps. It is taking us several days to recover from this marathon day!

1 comment: