Thursday, September 10, 2015

Minnesota State fair - second visit 9.6.15

We made it back to the Minnesota State Fair for a second visit this past Sunday. It was a bit overcast when wee arrived, but the morning rain has passed. I was hoping the rain would keep the crowds and the slow walkers and moseyers away. 
transportation hub entrance
 
We started with some Big Fat Bacon. Yum! 
 We tried to win some Vikings swag, not much luck this time. 
John got a fresh peach from the Produce Exchange stand. Very juicy and fresh. 
Original Fudge Puppy; it is basically a chocolate covered waffle on a stick, quite good actually. 
The weather cleared up around noon, but it clouded up again and rained more later in the afternoon. 
This is an apple rollover from the MN Apples stand in the Agriculture Horticulture building, a new item for 2015. Very light and flaky with lots of apples inside and a lot of icing on top. 
I tried a Gizmo sandwich at the recommendation of Andrew Zimmern. It is hamburger and sausage with marinara and cheese on a toasted bun. I thought it was a large and filling sandwich, but I am  not sure I'd order it again. It was just too much food and it was a bit bland.
S'mores beer from Giggles Campfire Grill
Buffalo'd Bones from Famous Dave's, new item for 2015 as well. These were quite good; very tender ribs and the buffalo sauce was spicy and flavorful. 
This is Not Your Father's Root beer, an adult root beer with 10% alcohol. It apparently has some kick, but certainly doesn't taste like it. Tastes just like regular root beer. Very good stuff! 
French Fries from the Fresh French Fries stand. These were quite good, but I think we liked the fries from our first visit from the World's Greatest French Fries stand a little better.
We bought some ride tickets so John could do the baseball pitch. We also rode the Ferris wheel and played the water squirt guns and I won a Minion at that!
I tried the Pineapple Wheat beer at Ballpark Cafe made by LTD brewing. It was OK, not sure I'd get it again though.
 I managed to have some more Grain belt Blu beer, wish they bottled this stuff! 
I got some macaroons from the Salty Tart. Very good. I swear there were 4 cookies in there last year. I also got some Sweet Martha's cookies, just a cone. Very good also, especially when fresh. 

We had a great day and got a lot of walking in an also collected some nice freebies. The fair was pretty busy even though the weather wasn't great. We even made it home before the next round of rain arrived later that night. I hope everyone had a chance to visit the fair this year and I can't wait until next year as always! 



No comments:

Post a Comment