Sunday, January 29, 2012

Masu Sushi and Robata 12/23/11

John and I usually go out somewhere as part of our Christmas celebration a bit before the holiday. This year we chose Masu in NE Minneapolis. I've wanted to try it since it opened, but kept forgetting about it. I noticed it was right on Hennepin when I was shopping in that area before Christmas and suggested we check it out.

I started with a gummi shochu sours cocktail, the rainbow gummi. I really liked this drink, though it was a lot on the sweet side! But I love sweet drinks. John ordered a flight of saki.

We ordered the firecracker roll for a sushi selection. It was really good and somewhat spicy. I would order it again. I'm new to sushi, and I'm loving it more and more each time I order it.
We ordered some spring rolls as well. They had a really great dipping sauce that accompanied them, spicy yet sweet all at once. The spring rolls were the kind I love with a thin, crispy rice paper wrapper too.

Since robata is a specialty here we got a few specific items off that part of the menu. (By the way, robata is basically a Japanese method for grilling food.) For the Robata selections we got Asupara maki which was bacon wrapped asparagus. This was quite good, even though it is probably not the best time of the year to order asparagus.  We also got some grilled shrimp. The shrimp were pretty plain, not marinated or anything. The sauce on the side was a soy type sauce. It did not add much to the shrimp either.

Since we were not sure what else to order, so we got a combination plate to share as well. The Teishoku #2 included ribeye, shrimp tempura, sweet corn robata, tomato bacon maki robata and kani nigiri. The shrimp was good and so was the ribeye. The grilled corn was just average. I was thinking it would be really great, like State Fair corm on the cob or something, but maybe it was just undercooked as it had no good flavor and no extra flavor from the grilling. The kani nigri was amazing, the crab had great flavor.
We had a really fun time at Masu and we'd certainly go back. It was something different compared to anywhere else we've been before, at home or on vacation. It's just another reason to love NE Minneapolis! I saw they are also planning on opening another location at the Mall of America. The mall could certainly use some interesting restaurants and Masu will be a good addition.

Masu Sushi and Robata
330 East Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55414
phone 612.332.6278
fax 612.331.4705
masusushiandrobata.com

1 comment:

  1. that looks good! and jason would be proud of you going for sushi! I can't believe John didn't get a Kirian though...

    ReplyDelete