Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Fayze's - LaCrosse, WI - Trip Report

We visited LaCrosse, Wisconsin, with our friends Megan and Jason back in September for a short weekend getaway for Oktoberfest 2012. So this report is way overdue. We all used to go every year, but due to other obligations we've had to take a year off here and there. This year we arrived Thursday night after work and attended the Tapping of the Golden Keg on Friday morning at 11 am. Later that evening we decided to visit Fayze's to refuel. We've been here quite a few times before and it is always pretty decent food. And great Bloody Mary's according to everyone else in my party. I'm not into Bloody Mary's, except for the olives. I'll eat your olives if you need me to!

I had the fire grilled prime rib dipped in garlic butter. The dipping sounded better than it tasted. I should not have ordered it dipped. It was very overdone and chewy. Maybe it would have been overdone either way, but this may have made it worse. The baked potato was good at least. They have great dinner rolls in the bread basket too. And all dinners come with a small side salad to start. You really do get quite a bit of food for the money.
Megan had a steak, the sirloin I beleive. She said it was really good and cooked as ordered.
Both John and Jason had the Friday fish fry special with cod. They both said the fish was really good, very light and flaky. The fries were ok, just your typical frozen french fries.
Cheap ketchup. Is it really that expensive to buy Heinz ketchup?
Oktoberfest song book and 2012 program of events.
They are tapping the Golden Keg on stage. Lots of people in attendance this year!

We had a good time in LaCrosse and everyone except me had a good dinner at Fayze's. I'm sure we will return again on our next trip. Even though the food is a bit hit or miss, there are not many other choices in the downtown area anyway.

Fayze's
135 4th Street South  
La Crosse, WI 54601
www.fayzes.com/
(608) 784-9548

2 comments:

  1. "Megan had a steak, the sirloin I beleive. She said it was really good and cooked as ordered." should read "Megan had the steak, the sirloin I believe. She said it was a super bad cut and tasted like cardboard. She ate Jason's fish, and made him eat it."

    I love Fayze's normally - but that was a bad steak. I chalk it up to Oktoberfest and it being Friday I should have ordered the fish fry. Loved the Bloody Mary and bread/cracker bowl though, so I will be back again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the clarification! Guess that's why I get for waiting so long and having NO notes at all! I was noticing in the photos that your food looked almost exactly the same as my food, and I don't think they should have looked similar at all.

      Delete