Friday, November 23, 2012

Joe's Garage

We visited Joe's Garage awhile back during the fall Restaurant Week though Mpls/St Paul magazine for a Friday lunch. Yes, this post is rather overdue! Anyway, we were both looking forward to visiting as John had never eaten at Joe's before and I had not been back in a few years.

The Restaurant Week menu seemed to be choices off of their regular menu, but sized appropriately for a two course meal. John chose the fish tacos with pineapple salsa and cilantro for his first course. These were very good. The pineapple added a nice sweet flavor to the otherwise bland fish. Very flavorful.

John ordered the buttermilk fried chicken with with garlic mashed potatoes, garlic green beans and rosemary gravy. The chicken was boneless breaded chicken, so if you hate chicken on the bone, this is the meal for you. John said he was craving comfort food so he enjoyed this entree a lot. The garlic green beans were really tasty too. I tried a couple to make sure they were good!

My entree was the spicy Asian pork sliders with Asian slaw and peanut soy dressing. I really liked the sliders, the meat was very good, not at all greasy and very flavorful. I did not think they were very spicy either. The slaw added a nice crunch and the peanut say gave it a salty bite. Very nice. I saw they have this as a full size burger on the menu and I would definitely recommend that.

I had the bread pudding for dessert. I was so excited to try it that I forgot to take a photo of it. It was very good with bits of dark chocolate, pecans and craisins mixed into with the bread. It was tasty, but I wished I'd ordered the fish tacos too.

Overall, we had  a great lunch and look forward to returning again. The service was quick, which is nice at lunch. I think then location and parking difficulties keep us from thinking of Joe's Garage on a regular basis. It might be more convenient to those that live in the nearby area, though there is parking close by, it tends to fill up quickly. They also have a very large and well known patio that has great views of the basilica and downtown. It is certainly worth the trip in the warmer months.

Deals & Discounts: We visited during Restaurant Week, which is a promotion through Mpls/St Paul Magazine for price fixe menus at different places around town. We paid $10 for a two course lunch in this case. I believe Joe's also has a good happy hour with food and drink specials. The web site currently lists 25% off tap beers, house wines, rail drinks and selected appetizers 4-6pm Monday – Friday. But you may want to call before going to verify the current specials.


Joe's Garage
1610 Harmon Place
Minneapolis, MN 55403
(612) 904-1163
http://joes-garage.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment