Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Capital Grille

We visited the Capital Grille due to a coupon I received in the mail from American Express for $50 off any purchase. We thought it sounded like a good value, and we have not tried Capital Grille before so we thought we would give it a try. We ended up visiting on a Sunday night as they were booked solid, I suppose to due to the fact that Wicked was playing down the street.

We arrived a few minutes early, but we were seated right away in a side room off of the main dining room. The atmosphere was very dark and clubby, with lots of dark wood and dark carpets. Our server stopped by right away to introduce himself and get us started with drinks. He also made some menu recommendations, which we found to be very helpful.

I started with a glass of prosecco and John had a Sapphire tonic. He said the drink tasted off. Not a lot of liquor either, lots of tonic.

I was not that hungry so we shared a Caesar salad. This may have been a bad idea. The salad was too white and yellow for my tastes, poor quality lettuce.  The dressing had good flavor though.

John had the porcini delmonico. It had a porcini mushroom crust and it was drizzled with 12 year aged balsamic. The steak was very good. Cooked perfectly. The porcini crust gave it a nice earthy taste.  John’s steak was cooked as requested too.  

We shared a side of roasted mushrooms, which were cooked perfectly and we had a nice variety of types in the mix.

I had the filet Oscar, which is a filet with crab meat and bĂ©arnaise sauce.    All of their steaks are dry aged and mine was very tender and cooked perfectly as I had requested.

Overall, I think we were happy with our food and the service, but not wowed by it. I think the steak was very good, the other items were just average. For an expensive steakhouse, wowing is in order. Every time.

Compared to other nice steakhouses we’ve been at in the Twin Cities, I would rate Capital Grill near the bottom though. I think Murray’s was better. You get the same service and good quality food at slightly lower prices. Manny’s was definitely better. Manny’s impresses all the way around. So I’m glad we got a deal on this experience, but I don’t think we will be going back.


Capital Grille
LaSalle Plaza
801 Hennepin Ave 
Minneapolis, MN 55402
(612) 692-9000
www.thecapitalgrille.com


No comments:

Post a Comment