Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Colossal Cafe

We have been trying to visit Colossal Cafe for awhile now, only to find a line out the door each time we arrived. We decided to try the St Paul location as I had heard it was a bit larger than the Minneapolis location. It is not a big place by any stretch of the imagination, but we did not have any trouble getting in and finding a table on a Sunday morning.

John ordered the breakfast plate with two eggs, hash browns, bacon and toast. Wow, that was a lot of food! The bacon was really good, very thick and cooked just right. The hash browns were good as well, quite crispy.
I ordered one flapper (their version of a pancake), as I had seen an old episode of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, in which the former owner was interviewed and demonstrated how to make the flappers. I was not all that crazy about the flapper though. It had an unusual flavor that I'm not sure I cared for. Maybe it is because I like a fluffy buttermilk pancake normally and this was a thinner pancake. I believe these are yeast pancakes actually. I think the syrup was real maple syrup though. You don't run into that too often anymore.
I ordered the breakfast sandwich with egg, cheddar cheese and bacon on a biscuit. This was a great sandwich! The biscuit was very light and fluffy and the cheese had a nice cheddar flavor and the bacon was thick and cooked perfectly. I really liked this sandwich and I'd go back just to order this again. 

Colossal Cafe is counter service, meaning you order at the counter and they bring the food out once it is ready. So we did not have much interaction with the staff other than when we placed our orders. The staff we did speak to seemed friendly and helpful. Minneapolis location is open for breakfast and lunch only. St Paul recently started serving dinner in addition to breakfast and lunch.


Colossal Cafe
1839 E. 42nd Street
Minneapolis MN 55407
612-729-2377

2315 Como Avenue
St. Paul MN 55108
651-797-4027

Note: The Minneapolis location is really, really tiny and always looked super busy whenever we tried to stop in. The St Paul location is a bit more spacious and we had no issues getting a table on the Sunday morning we visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment