Friday, May 27, 2011

My MSP Donut Study 2011

Since I have had a lot of spare time lately, I decided to check out some of the more distant donut shops around town and find the best donut. This means I went to Minneapolis. During the week. In traffic. Do not be alarmed, I did not eat at all three places in one day! I went to the gym immediately afterwards to work the darn donuts off too.

The first donut sample is from Mel-o-glaze Bakery. This is a really amazing donut if you like the raised type of donut. They have glazed donuts and the one below is glazed with chocolate frosting. Double frosting basically. Yum. This donut was very fresh and light tasting.


The items below are a chocolate croissant and a brownie cupcake from A Baker's Wife bakery. I ordered a donut as well and it was ingested in the car. Sorry I do not have a photo. I need to work on that. Their standard donut was a cake donut and very, very good. It had a bit of crunch outside when you bit into it, but it was very soft and light inside. Really melted in my mouth. The chocolate croissant was good; very light and flaky with a lot of dark chocolate inside. The brownie cupcake was good too, it was a bit heavy and really filling.

Both Mel-o-Glaze and A Baker's Wife are within 5-6 blocks of each other on 28th Street in South Minneapolis.

The next selection of donuts is from Yo Yo Donuts in Hopkins. This is their standard cake donut on the right and a s'mores donut on the left. The s'mores donut was a raised donut as opposed to a cake donut; I preferred it to the cake donut because it was very soft and doughy inside. The cake donut was goos, but the outside did not have that nice crunch on the outside I prefer.

They also have a bunch of crazy donuts like a long john with bacon on it and some raised donuts with gummy worms on them.
Overall, I think my favorite so far was the cake donut at A Baker's Wife. There are a few other places I need to check out though. I live really close to Valley Pastries in Golden Valley, so I need to check that out soon. Actually, I have been there recently but I forgot to take photos again. I'm terrible. Or maybe just very hungry.

Mel-o-Glaze Bakery
4800 28th Ave South
Minneapolis, MN  55417
(612) 729-9316
www.meloglaze.com/

A Baker's Wife Bakery
4200 28th Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55406
(612) 729-6898

YoYo Donuts
5757 Sanibel Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55343
(952) 960-1800
www.yoyodonuts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment